Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lyn Buchanan: Military Intel and 'Alien Abductee'

Lyn Buchanan is retired career military intelligence and a self-described alien abductee. He claimed to have experienced a psychokinetic event at the Intelligence Field Station in Augsburg, Germany, some six years before the Gulf Breeze Six brought attention to the base. I contacted him to learn more.

Summary

Sergeant Lyn Buchanan initially joined the Army as a young man and, according to the bio on his website, he became a computer expert, working on Nike guided missile systems. During a 12-year break in service, Buchanan apparently earned a BA in Psychology, a BA in Linguistics and an MA in Linguistics Psychology. He re-entered the Army in 1974 and became employed in military intelligence as a linguist.

Former home of the Gulf Breeze Six and their
701st Military Intelligence Brigade at the
US Intelligence Field Station in Augsburg, Germany.
Buchanan's long second stint of duty included serving four years at the US Intelligence Field Station in Augsburg, Germany, the same base where the Gulf Breeze Six went over the wall in 1990. It was in 1984 at Augsburg that Buchanan experienced what he described as a “psychokinetic” computer-related anomaly. As the story goes, the anomaly caught the attention of Major General Stubblebine himself to an extent the general oversaw the sergeant's transfer to a remote viewing unit located in Fort Meade, Maryland.

At that point, a lot depends on who you choose to believe as to what took place, as self-appointed movers and shakers of the remote viewing crowd often agree on very little other than the activity is of monumental importance. Other than that, many of them bicker and fail to agree on such basic aspects as how to correctly execute the activity, who is qualified to teach it or what it should even correctly be called.

As Buchanan's story goes, it was while he was employed with the remote viewing unit that he recovered memories of what he claims to believe was an alien abduction. The abduction event happened some 25 years prior, during the 1960's, according to Buchanan.

Sergeant Buchanan retired from the Army in 1992. He worked for a brief time with Major General Stubblebine, but the venture apparently did not work out. Buchanan continues to hold Stubblebine in the highest regards.

Buchanan eventually founded and continues to operate
Problems>Solutions>Innovation, or P>S>I, of Alamogordo, New Mexico, where he provides training in his brand of controlled remote viewing and related services. Much about remote viewing operations was declassified in 1995, paving the way for former participants to speak publicly about select subject matter while launching private companies that market remote viewing products and services.

Details

I contacted Sergeant Buchanan to inquire about the many interesting aspects of his case. I appreciate his willingness to interact with me and field my questions. Whatever we may choose to think about his statements, I appreciate he provided the statements. I initially asked about the computer incident in Augsburg.

Sergeant Lyn Buchanan
“Well, it wasn't at all like the scene in 'The Men Who Stare At Goats' movie,” he replied.


“I had spent a little over two months writing a program,” Buchanan continued, “which would tie together the work of the 12 different countries who used the field station. That way, they could share intelligence and not duplicate each other's work. There was another sergeant who had wanted the programming job, but I got it instead. When it came time to demo the program, the highest brass from each of the 12 countries were in the room. I gave my intro and then turned to the mainframe computer terminal and hit the enter key. The screen went dead and everyone started laughing. I turned and saw the other sergeant standing at the door. He pointed his finger at the computer, then at me, and mouthed, 'Gotcha!!.' I got flaming angry. I've had PK (psychokinetic) ability since I was about 12 years old, and I knew what happened when I get angry at someone. I quickly turned back to the computer, and the computers all over the station burned out.”

This, as legend has it, contributed to Major General Stubblebine developing a specific interest in the sergeant and sending him to Fort Meade, Maryland. Buchanan further described, “I was a much needed replacement for Joe McMoneagle, so they were glad to have me. However, they also knew that I was there out of default. General Stubblebine had wanted to use me to start a military unit that could destroy enemy computers - then later learn how to simply control the data and programming within them. When Congress decided that that was too much like mind control, they wouldn't fund it, so I basically had no assignment to go to. So, General Stubblebine put me into the CRV (controlled remote viewing) unit, instead.”

It was during his time in the CRV unit that Buchanan claimed to have recovered memories of an alien abduction. He described himself as having long suffered from nagging feelings he was forgetting something, claiming to repeatedly check his house for forgotten items prior to leaving. “Over the following years (after the abduction),” he explained, “it became chronic, and I couldn't leave the house without going back to check the gas, the lights, the locks, etc. One Sunday, about 25 years after that, my wife and I were on our way to church, and I had gone back into the house 5-6 times to check on things. She chided me, 'Did you check the basement? Did you check the lights? Did you check the back yard?' The minute she said 'back yard,' it all came flooding back to me. It was overwhelming. That's when the event and the details of what happened during my abduction came flooding back to me."

Describing the abduction, Buchanan stated, “When I was a student minister in East Texas, back in the '60s, I was moving from one parsonage to another (Methodist ministers move from church assignment to church assignment every few years or so). My family had already moved to the new parsonage, and I was cleaning out the old one, getting it ready for the incoming minister. It was late at night and I was tired, so I put a pallet down on the floor and laid down to take a nap before driving to the new house. The parsonage was WAY out in the country, about a half mile from the nearest road, so it was totally isolated. About that time, I heard something land in the back yard. I tried to get up to see what it was, but was frozen. I thought that it could be a 'flying saucer,' and decided that I could go out back and take a picture of the ground the next morning to prove it. But right then, I couldn't move. Then, I heard some 'people' coming around the house to the front. The next thing I knew, it was morning and I was wandering around the house in a total daze. When I finally came to my senses, I picked up the pallet, threw it into the UHaul and drove away. From that time on, I kept having the feeling that I had forgotten something.”

What does Buchanan think was most important about the event?

“It happened. There are other things that came from remembering the event and from the events that followed after I remembered, but those things are not open for the public, yet.”

Buchanan explained that he discussed the memories to various extents with the remote viewing unit, going as far as asking them to remotely observe the occurrence. He claimed “their findings confirmed it.” He also claimed one of the unit members “told on” him to "the powers that be." This, Buchanan suggested, resulted in formal questioning. “The following week,” he continued, “I was approached by 'the men in black' (who are just interrogators, not aliens), and I learned something from them that confirmed that it was true. About a year later, I got further and more complete confirmation.”

When asked if there was anything else in particular he thought we should know, Buchanan had quite a bit to offer. He wrote that his general attitude on aliens is 'they are there, but so what?'. He added, “As a result of my experience and what came from that first interrogation, I've been exposed to a lot more ET-related material and incidents, most of which nobody knows about, and probably never will. But again... so what?”

Buchanan claimed he was once commissioned to compose a paper to determine possible relationships between psychic ability and aliens, and he suggested this might be of interest to readers. After what he termed “a fairly long study of unsolved cases of abductions, sightings, events, etc.,” as well as “a lot of things that didn't make it into the 'Blue Book Report,'” he claimed to have come to believe there are multiple kinds of aliens, possessing various extents of psychic abilities and executing a variety of agendas, visiting earth. Conceding it was conjecture, Buchanan stated he believed a key point was that humans have little psychic ability, yet a lot of psychic range (across planets or even the universe), while some aliens have a lot of psychic ability, but very little range (they must be in the immediate vicinity of a person to psychically manipulate them).

Concerns

I asked Sergeant Buchanan what he would say to those who might ask why he thinks he has been provided confirmation and “further and more complete information,” as he stated, when individuals such as Colonel John Alexander continue to claim they can find no such evidence. I asked if Buchanan suggested we should doubt Alexander's sincerity, consider him 'out of the loop,' or some other possibility.

“There are two key (terms) in your question,” Buchanan cryptically replied, "'claim' and 'some other possibility.'"

Responding to what he would say to individuals who might question why we should believe those who allegedly provide him information, Buchanan stated he probably would not answer because “the information is mostly still classified.” He added, however, that “an accidental exposure of information” occurred during one circumstance, and he claimed to later have been provided “physical proof.”

"There are a lot of questions I can't or won't answer,” Buchanan concluded, “and a lot of accusations that I won't be able to defend, simply because of the situations, agreements, and promises I have made. I am a VERY strong supporter of the fact that there are many things which should remain secret. And in spite of what the tabloid says, nowhere in the Constitution or any law does it state that 'the people have a right to know.' But frankly, I would be disappointed in people if they didn't question just about everything they hear. There probably won't be a lot of proof available to the public in our lifetimes, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't continue to demand it. If you don't continue to demand it, you'll never get it. The people may not have the right to know, but there's a lot of it that, in my opinion, they have the need to know.”

Bottom Line

I want to emphasize my appreciation for Sergeant Buchanan's willingness to address my questions. He is prepared to have his story and statements scrutinized, and that traditionally bodes well. Buchanan wisely goes as far as to empathize with those who might, at most, be no more than willing to suspend judgment pending verifiable proof of his claims.

I think the story here is that the story even exists. I leave it up to readers to form their own perspectives but, in my opinion, the bottom line is that members of the military intelligence community indeed took ongoing interests in ufology, or at least they keep talking about it, and that in itself is a potentially key piece of the puzzle. In many circumstances we simply have no current means of knowing which ones of them are sincere, dishonest, manipulated or even just doing their jobs as instructed. Until such a time as we do know, we are simply left to debate and speculate, and such is the stuff of exercises in futility.

The goings ons in Augsburg during the 1980's and into 1990 should keep researchers busy for quite some time. The events surrounding Project STAR GATE additionally have enough implications and possibilities to keep curious researchers reading
Gary Bekkum for generations to come.

Yet the situation will remain that we cannot form a legitimate conclusion until verifiable data allows, all of which brings us back to the previously identified pink elephant in the room of ufology: We cannot thoroughly and accurately assess UFO-related circumstances until we know the extent the intelligence community was involved. We cannot compose an accurate program for the play until we know who deserves primary credit for the production.

Here, in the cases of Sergeant Lyn Buchanan and Colonel John Alexander, we have two men who literally served in the same command of Major General Bert Stubblebine and his paranormal-related projects, yet the two provided us virtually completely conflicting information. One, Buchanan, claimed to have spent a virtual career interacting with the likes of men in black and various insiders who were not only well aware of an alien presence, but provided him confirmation. Contrastingly, Colonel Alexander claimed to have searched high and low for such evidence, ultimately claiming no such evidence exists and that no one is even so much as charged with obtaining and protecting it. With tongue planted firmly in cheek, I write that perhaps we should introduce Buchanan and Alexander....

My exploration of the labyrinth of UFO Land and my resulting study of the intelligence community sometimes bring to mind the words of Heinrich Heine, a 19th century writer and German expatriate. He is credited with the statement, “Wild, dark times are rumbling toward us, and the prophet who wishes to write a new apocalypse will have to invent entirely new beasts, and beasts so terrible that the ancient animal symbols of St. John will seem like cooing doves and cupids in comparison.”


9 comments:

  1. Jack, do you know Lyn? I had heard he lives in NM (though I am not sure of that) and would love to contact him about speaking for our group sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley, I also interpret Lyn Buchanan to be in NM. For what it is worth, I found him very willing to discuss his story. If helpful, I initially contacted him through the following link:

    http://www.crviewer.com/ContactUs.asp

    Best wishes and please let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect the way you've written this article and maintained a neutral stance. The passage about 'bickering' remote-viewers was accurate enough to make me smile and read on. Ed Dames disputes most of Buchanan's claims, but others are just as dismissive of his!

    From my perspective, Buchanan's claims don't have the ring of truth and are very difficult to accept. I struggle to envisage a scenario whereby the 'commanding officers of the 12 NATO countries' would need to be present for a program demonstration. He also adds the presence of 'the commanding officers of all branches of the US military who had efforts at the Field Station.'

    Let's say they would? Would a sergeant be able to stand in the open doorway looking in? With what did he disable Buchanan's program? Was it PK, a virus or did he unplug it?

    The next claims that his own PK frazzled 'almost all intelligence-based computers around Germany' are tough to swallow.

    Dr Dean Radin is currently conducting an intriguing test of PK using the Double-slit Experiment (I've taken part...badly). He'll be looking at very subtle differences. In that light, how plausible are LB's claims that he knocked out the computers in a country of over a 100 million square miles?

    Whilst scientists are measuring factors to decimal points, Buchanan is wielding the power of Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome, Lesley. I hope things go well for your group.

    Thank you, Kandinsky. I appreciate your comments.

    Just for some clarification, I interpret Buchanan claimed to have mentally offed the computers all over the Field Station, not all over Germany. Your implications are well taken, though, that the public cannot currently identify actuality, and is often left to just choose to believe or reject the claims of 'insiders.' Thanks again for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jack for taking my comments in good faith.

    The quotes I used are from LB's own website and I'm not good at embedding links. I should have been more explicit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Thanks Jack for taking my comments in good faith."

    Absolutely. A challenge, in my opinion, is that members of the UFO community tend to selectively accept 'insider' testimony based largely on whether or not the testimony supports pre-existing preferred beliefs. They promote that which they choose to believe while omitting mention of conflicting testimony and that which they choose to reject.

    Not only does such an ill advised strategy all but insure inaccuracy, but it makes the jobs of frauds, disinformers and the like all the easier. A much more objective and balanced approach would of course be to accept we have no choice but to suspend judgment on any claims, regardless of specific subject matter, until evidence available for public review allows a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please tell, Lyn Buchanon, to send me some psychokinetic power, in picking these ballgames with the sports book, at the rate I'm headed, I'll be broke this evening! Plaudits, I love your videos on YouTube, very intriguing! Take care, and I patiently stand by for a reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked in IT in the early 90s on mainframe/minicomputer systems that were just then segueing to networked PCs. In those days where computers seemed much more fragile, it was not uncommon for a company or institution to have an employee who just could not be around the terminals (and God forbid around the main computer). Those certain employees would burn out, frazzle, or cause dysfunction in the computers all the time. I personally know one former financial services employee who got transferred to a different department where they did not have as much work to do on a terminal because terminals and smaller computers would always malfunction around them, and given that large sums of money and accounting data were being affected, this was not something that could be tolerated at all.

    These are also the same people who find that watches quit working on them more quickly than normal, that light bulbs blow around them, and that have various electric and electronic malfunctions and odd phenomena accompany them in life. They learned to live with it and joke about it; the IT folks learned to put up with it, although in extreme cases like I mentioned, the person's tasks got changed.

    Right now my husband's ex-wife lives with their two young adult children, both autistic. My husband's ex-wife has demonstrated psychic talent all her life, as has my husband, and as does their daughter (who is high-functioning autism). I cannot tell you the number of TVs, washing machines, microwave ovens, stoves, refrigerators, etc. they go through. They aren't abusing these devices; they just stop working months or years before they're supposed to. I'm convinced this is a similar phenomenon.

    My husband doesn't cause electronics to malfunction, but he has other PK abilities similar to what Lyn Buchanan describes in his book. At one point we joked that he (my husband) was like that weird little kid in the Twilight Zone show that "thought bad people" into the "cornfield." We joked, but it was rather unnerving to witness his thoughts seemingly come to life and manifest. And it was usually bad things happening to people whom he perceived as threatening his job or the wellbeing of his kids.

    So I have no problem believing that Lyn Buchanan's flare of extreme anger, bursting out after he tried to control it for years, caused a lot of computers to malfunction. TBH, that aspect almost seems mundane. I also don't think distance or quantity of computers or terminals matters much since non-local phenomena seem not to lose power over distance the same way that mundane transfers of energy do.

    It's hard to test for these types of things under any kind of controlled circumstances, which is unfortunate, because I think a lot of valuable information could be gleaned by observing what is going on in or around these folks who can blow computers and light bulbs or cause other PK effects. --Anna Meadows, North Carolina

    ReplyDelete